Wednesday, June 30, 2004

A Reflection

I'm going to try to write a more thoughtful entry, although I'm not sure how successful I will be. A lot of people say it's supposed to be an easy way to express feelings and thoughts, although, I don't think it's ever been easy for me. Of course I'm not good at expressing thoughts and feelings verbally either. This entry is a reflection on what I've taken in over the past few years on Christianity.
I guess to start off with I'll talk about my religious background. I was baptized Catholic at a very early age, and have been raised Catholic ever since. My parents, mainly my mom, raised me to be the good person that I've been told I am so many times. But I'm not so sure how good of a Christian I am. In the world sense of things, I would say I am a good person. I might even go so far as to say I'm a really good person. However, in the Christian sense, I know that I am lacking.
Although I believe I have a stronger fire burning in me now to learn and follow The Word, that's not the way it used to be. Through the years, I have been content with my religion, sticking by it in a sort of "patriotic" way, but never really trying to learn what my faith was about. Upon entering college, a whole new array of denominations was brought into view. Just being in this different atmosphere has changed my perspective on things. I remember first moving down here and getting to know the friends I have a now, a very large portion of them listened to Christian music. Back in northern Kentucky, this is not unheard of, but, at least as far as I know, not popular. It surprised me to see so many people my age praising God in this way. I don't know if it's a Catholic thing or not, but it seems most Catholics my age do not have a passion for God and further study and examination of their own religion like people from other Christian denominations that I've met. I started attending church with friends, and experienced people and services with greater passion for worship and learning The Word.
Needless to say, this inspired me to learn the word and actually put it into action. However, I keep finding myself in rutts, wanting to climb out and learn more, but I always want motivation to get me going.
I just opened the Bible to a random spot looking for help, and this is what I came to:
Happy those who do not follow the counsel of the wicked, nor go the way of sinners, nor sit in company with scoffers. Rather, the law of the Lord is their joy; God's law they study day and night. They are like a tree planted near streams of water, that yields its fruit in season; its leaves never wither; whatever they do prospers.

Psalm 1: 1-3

Hey, this sounds like motivation to me :)


3 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Sounds like providential advice to me ;-)

6/30/2004  
Blogger Michael-Fay said...

Hey Mikey Sends, check out my blog and Dave's comment about the post "Hmph". Very well put...

I think it's important to understand that we're not alone in our struggle to attain super-omnipresent-galactic oneness. We are vain to think so singly of ourselves.

~ Fay

7/12/2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay Mikey,
What I told you about comment is true!! So, here's the first one. We talked about this a lot tonight. You are a wonderful person and I think all the exploring you did with your faith will only bring you closer to the truth. You now know what is out there and the decision to be a strong Catholic is more meaningful.
-Katie

10/11/2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home